🙌🏼 Preach 🙌🏼 Here’s some #WednesdayWisdom for ya! I’m still trying to process it myself!
This concept of loving the idea of other people loving you or caring what people think, has honestly plagued me for my whole life!!
• This means requiring external validation from the people around you to determine your worth.
• This means the boyfriend/girlfriend you want to fill a void or the relationship you’re staying in although you aren’t happy because you’re afraid to be alone.
• This is the friendships you’ve made that care far more about your image than you as a person or the friends that you have to walk on eggshells around because they don’t treat you as an equal.
• These are the emails you get from colleagues that instantly make you feel like you have to defend yourself or because you take everything personally, make you feel bad about yourself.
• These are the strangers that you feel the need to apologize to for being new at an activity and holding them up...
This is about caring SO much about what other people think of you, that it stops you from living, from leaving a bad relationship, from making new friends, from getting your work done for the rest of the day, from trying a new activity, from being able to function without one single thought about what someone else *might* be thinking.
I live this every day, I live this is ways I didn’t even realize until they started being pointed out to me and I started paying attention... I care so much about what people think that I’ll stop myself from doing so many things. I’ll get so worked up about my job, someone’s opinion of the work I’ve done or the impression I have left on other people that I’ll be a perfectionist and work long hours or I’ll obsess on it for days.
I hate how much the opinions of others affect me... I don’t just want to love myself and appreciate my flaws but I want to conquer my fears. I want to let comments and opinions from others roll off my back because I love myself enough to know I do good work & I am a person of worth. I do want to let those thoughts define my day and how I choose to live it! 👊🏼💥
I watched a story last night about the reasons this woman got divorced and what she learned from it. It's funny because what she said resonated with me, but it wasn't about my previous marriage.. it was the relationships that followed. Like her, I doubted myself, saw red flags and explained them away, and sought out advice instead of just passing on the person(s).. If I've learned nothing else, I've learned to trust my gut and instincts and impressions I get from people.. #morningthoughts#worth
Spent the afternoon with Nadsies on our second cycling adventure yay! I looOoOove Ofo. Cycled 21km from Pasir Ris to Coney Island and back because we damn 路痴 (stupid w the roads) and took so many detours BUT ALL'S GOOD BC our instincts v strong i think can make up for it (google maps la actually)/ Felt rly good cycling past all the empty roads and empty stuff and just greenery everywhere. Really a sense of free-spirited-ness u hardly get from the concrete jungle we live in./ By the way Coney Island smelt damn good??? I think is the trees but i didnt dare say anything bc MY FAMILY ALWAYS TELL ME if u smell smth nice in the trees IS GHOST LOL touchwood also was q amazed at Malaysia just opposite of us in 5th pic. Now ive got a damn bad sunburn on my back with the print of my shirt, luvly!!but #worth