At the Mary Kathleen Mine Site.
The now abandoned town of Mary Kathleen is located 54km east of Mount Isa and 64km west of Cloncurry. The access road into the town is sealed, however the road is in a bad state of disrepair (watch out for potholes and washouts). 300 metres from the turn off you will find yourself in the town of Mary Kathleen where you can drive the streets of the town and imagine what the once thriving town would have been like. From the town there is another 4.7km of sealed road followed by 1.9km of unsealed road passing through the original processing plant and site offices before you climb to the mine site (the section of track to the mine site has a difficulty rating of moderate and is not suitable for caravans). Once you reach the parking area it is a short walk to view the open cut mine.
The town of Mary Kathleen once served the nearby uranium mine. Clem Walton and Norman McConarchy discovered Uranium in 1954, the township was named after Norman’s wife. In 1955 Rio Tinto developed the open cut mine and an architect was commissioned to design the town 6km from the mine. The mining company provided the entire infrastructure including the town (used to provide accommodation and amenities to the mines workers and their families), a dam on the nearby Corella River, open cut mine and processing plant. The town enjoyed prosperity from 1956 until 1963 when the mine was shut down due to the main supply contract had been fulfilled early. 11 years later in 1974, new supply contracts were established with Japanese, American and German utilities organisations and the mine was reopened, until it was closed in 1982 when the uranium reserves were finally exhausted. The entire town infrastructure went to auction on the 11th April 1983.
FREE CAMPING – you can camp at the abandoned town of Mary Kathleen. Camping is suitable for caravans, campervans, campertrailers and tents. There is shade but no water or toilets. No fires.
0 3541 minutes ago
Mister pretty, sweet eyes. Love this doggo with all my ❤️ Mister pretty, sweet eyes. Love this doggo with all my ❤️
Ni sebahagian je barangan camping. Byk lagi x include macam portable stove, meja, tmpt air, garbage bag, brg makan, icebox.. etc
Berpeluh gak packing.. 😂😂😂😂
Dalam gambar ni baru utk khemah je. .
Kiteorg bawak for khemah:
1) Yoga mat -(*Optional) tido lebih selesa
2) Khemah for 6 pax- senang solat sebab boleh berdiri
3) Sleeping bag - 2 in 1, sebagai pelapik + selimut
4) Led Solar Light - Rechargable guna solar and boleh tahan sampai 2.5 hours.
5) Kipas Yubiso - Utk buang haba dlm khemas and kipas ni boleh setting slow, med, high and boleh last dlm 120 min kalau dah charge full la.
6) Extra String- Utk bahagian awning khemah. Beli dekat @decathlon.my
7) Rain Coat - (*Optional) Pun beli dekat decathlon.
8) Camp Dry- (*Optional) Spray dkt khemah dulu and biar kering, useful kalau khemah masa musim hujan. Air x kan masuk dekat celah2 benang. Or boleh cover dgn fly sheet/kanvas.
9) Power bank- Bring extra utk charge hp
10) Extra Poles-(*Optional) Utk awning khemah
11) Extra Canvas - (*Optional) Utk letak bawah khemah, kalau kotor basuh kanvas je.
12) Travel Pillow- not in the pict.
13) Extra Blanket - not in the pict
So tu je, if korang nak travel light byk yg boleh dikurangkan. But mcm we all prefer ala glamping cmtuh but not so glam.. 😂😂! Ikut keselesaan.
@lifeonclaude9 The great thing about sand is that it gets everywhere and is nearly impossible to get out of your clothes, shoes, hair, backpack, camera, eyes, the existential void left by the immense sense of minuteness brought about by the crushing realization that we are tiny carbon based bipedal apes running around on a small planet in a relatively quiet part of a galaxy in a amoral, meaningless universe whose size we count not in miles but in the millions of years that it takes light to travel from an ancient and now vanished 10 billion year old nebulae across the immense void of the cosmos only to have that proton of light land on the pinky of your stinky left foot as you sit on the beach and complain that the daiquiri you're drinking is a bit 'watered down'
Sand I tell ya...
10 1034an hour ago
We've been training for a marathon. On Netflix. With Taco Bell and cookies. So far we're crushing it! @jurgie321 —
Follow us: -@allthingscamper
Thank you so much!