The throwback series! 😀 (sorry for the delay, I've been sick 😕)
Christmas: the ultimate family holiday.🌲👪 Unfortunately Christmas is celebrated in December which is one of the coldest months of the year in The Netherlands and therefore an ideal month to travel somewhere a bit more tropical.
Missing out on the family festivities can be hard. I receive pictures of Christmas trees, presents and sparkling lights on a daily base. And while I'm happy to see the smiling faces of friends and family I do feel sad for not being able to join them.
This is my second year in a row outside my home country. This year I'm lucky to have my best friend with me so it feels more like home here in Peru. Last year has been an unique hostel experience with a bunch of international travelers joining together the days before Christmas and becoming one family. This feeling has been my favourite memory of my time in Bali. Because family can be found anywhere.❤✌
I wish you all a very happy Christmas. 😙💞
6 576:53 AM Dec 25, 2017
The throwback series 😃
I'm writing this from sunny Mexico but last year around this time I was discovering the beauty of Nepal. 😍
The peacefulness of Nepal was the perfect answer to my last days in India's hectic Delhi. The calm, relaxed and friendly Nepalese always have a smile on their face. As a Nepalese man once told me "we don't want to waste energy in negativity. When someone treats us well we smile, when someone treats us poorly, we still smile. The only right answer to anyone, no matter the circumstances, is positivity.
And with these wise words in mind I hiked through the himalayas. Stayed positive through the long tiring days and cold nights. Even managed to stay positive when an injury forced us to return earlier as planned and I had to get down from 3000 metres not being able to stand on one foot.
It wouldn't have been possible without this amazing group of people. All of them decided to help me out and return with me instead of continuing their trek. And that's something I'll never forget. ❤
3 504:23 PM Dec 2, 2017
The throwback series.😃🙋 Blonde girl goes to India. Alone.😨
They've all called me crazy. Family, friends, random strangers. Warned me for rapists, thief's, staring men and all kind of diseases. Stubborn as I am, I did not listen and travelled for a month from the relaxing south all the way up to the busy north of India.
One day I got lost. I got dropped of by a night bus, somewhere in the goa region. It was dark, cold and the middle of the night. I was all alone.
If only the people back home could see me right now... I could hear the "I told you so"'s in the back of my mind but stayed determined to prove them wrong. While I was considering my options; staying in the middle of nowhere or continuing walking towards the middle of nowhere, I suddenly saw a light in the distance. Someone was opening his shop. I approached the man and asked for directions. He did not speak a single word of English and we spoke through sign language. I understood I had to wait another 2 hour until a bus would arrive. Desperately I started to walk around, this was a scenario I definitely did not expect.
Suddenly the man returned, he drove towards me on his motorcycle and explained I had to jump on the back.
I should not do this, I do not know this man, I'm a girl alone.. this is crazy!! And yet, I accepted his offer. I can't explain why but somehow I knew I could trust this man. We drove for 30 minutes until we arrived in the town I was supposed to stay but instead of dropping me off he insisted to look for my guesthouse where he called the owner and waited until I was safely inside.
India has been a wonderful experience and I can't wait to return. I'll always think with gratitude of this man. He didn't 'just' save me from an uncomfortable situation, his deed has also proven once again that good people can be found everywhere. And that's why I travel. 💕
4 712:48 PM Nov 24, 2017
The throwback series!😊✌
After a 12h transit in Dubai to meet my friend and wander through one of its largest malls I arrived in Sri Lanka: an undiscovered pearl in the Indian Ocean ❤The nature of this country has amazed me the most, from fresh green hills to white sand beaches 🌊 Number one must do in Sri Lanka; The train ride from Ella to Kandi! 💕😍This ride is considered to be one of the most beautiful experiences in the world 🌍Get the cheapest ticket, forget about your seat and sit by the doors. Enjoy the fresh wind through your hair, the soft touch of grass on your feet and the undescribable beautiful nature you pass through 🙌💪
6 612:46 PM Nov 22, 2017
The throwback series! 🙌💕 Jordan, October 2016 🐫
I started my trip last year in Jordan, one of my favourite countries in the world. Unfortunately many tourists do not consider this beautiful country in the Middle East as their next holiday destination. 😯 I think that should change! So I give you 7 (of the many) reasons to visit Jordan! 😍
1. Petra. One of the 7 world wonders.... obviously Petra by itself is a reason to visit Jordan! 😊 From the wonders I have seen so far Petra has amazed me the most.
2. Wadi rum, the magical red sand in a bedouin atmosphere. Spending the night in the Jordanian desert looking at the stars and riding camels in the morning makes you feel part of an Arab fairytale. And yep, this selfie was made in Wadi Rum! 📷
3. Humus and falafel. 🍜🍉The Jordanian cuisine is diverse and yummy. 😋 A wide mix of luxurious restaurants, simple bars and streetfood can be found. Did you know that falafel is actually a breakfast food and can be found for 30 cents on the street?
4. The people! Generous, calm and peaceful. A beautiful mix of people lives in this little oasis. Do you need something, got a problem? No worries people WILL take care of you! No wonder some of my best friends are from Jordan. ❤
5. Dead Sea. 🌊This piece of nature is unique in the world.🌍 Come to the lowest point on earth and enjoy floating in the salty water while reading your favorite book. Not to forget: the super healthy mud, get ready for the best facial!
6. History and archeology. Jordans history is really interesting and so are its monuments from the past. Jerash, a city up north, is the main example of the archaeological heritage which can be found.👍👐
7. Red Sea. One of the best places to snorkel and dive in the world, do I need to say more? 😆😆 These are just seven reasons to visit the Hashemite Kingdom. What do you think? Is Jordan YOUR next destination?? 😀 Ahlan wa sahlan! 😄❤ #fleurtravels#throwback#jordan#travelling#iamatraveller#wanderlust#stayandwander#livinglife#lifedecisions#traveldiary#backpacking#globetrotter#mylife#discoverjordan#visitjordan
10 719:35 PM Oct 28, 2017
Back in Leuven, Belgium where I lived in 2016 we planned to go on a hitchhiking trip. Because the road is more important than the actual destination we decided on writing 'anywhere' on our paper.
This way of living is basically my way of living the past year. I go wherever I feel like going, I do whatever I feel like doing and I am whoever I feel like being.
For 8 months I travelled around Asia, where I enjoyed the backpacker life, discovered the beauty of 12 countries, worked in several hostels and completed a course in traditional Thai massage. For 4 months I have been living in Amsterdam where I got the opportunity to work in a completely new field, visited and hosted my European friends and enjoyed time to catch up with friends and family in The Netherlands.
When I left to travel I got critiqued for not leading 'the normal life'. When I decided to leave Asia and come to Europe people told me I returned to 'my old life'.
However. There is no normal life. There is no old life. There is only the road forward.
Anywhere. --- --- --- --- --- --- The upcoming month I'll post throwback pictures/stories from my 8 months in Asia before I'll hit the road again to discover 2 new continents :-) *** #fleurtravels#traveldiary#aroundtheworldpix#wanderlust#stayandwander#livinglife#lifedecisions#travelling#iamatraveller#nomads#backpacking#globetrotter#mylife